As a result of soliciting feedback from a cross-section of the community and reviewing literature data, United Way of Mason County has established a new model of doing business. Our focus is more about acheiving specific outcomes in the areas of helping children to succeed, working with families to become financially stable and independent and improving people's health. We believe that these are the building blocks for a good life.
As a result of this change United Way of Mason County has moved to an open request for proposal, meaning that any local non-profit organzation meeting the general eligibility requirements and focusing on one or more of the following areas can apply for funding:
- Helping children to achieve their potential.
- Children are developmentally ready to learn and succeed.
- Youth are involved in safe and productive activities in school or the community.
- Working with adults and families to live well and be self-sufficient.
- Manage household expenses.
- Develop the necessary skills to obtain and maintain employment
- Obtain and maintain safe and affordable housing.
- Meet basic needs on an emergency and on-going basis.
- Obtain and maintain a healthier lifestyle through diet and exercise.
- Decrease the rate of substance abuse.
- Become safe from domestic violence.
We recognize that to reach these goals, we need to work side-by-side with all segements of the community. It's the idea that we can achieve more together than any single group on its own.